Monday, January 13, 2014

Me? A Sister Missionary?


Growing up I have always wanted to serve a Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, also known as the Mormons! I've always wished, dreamed & planned on serving a Mission & I always knew I would.. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints serving a full time Mission is a Priesthood Duty & obligation, however Sisters are not under the same obligation to go on missions. Before the age at which young men could serve was 19 & for young women 21! For me that was a LONG TIME! But I was determined to continue to prepare myself to serve at the age of 21. I was almost certain that I had my whole life all planned out... Graduate from High School & just work & save up during that 2-3 years to pay for my own mission! My parents didn't really agree with that idea.... I think they knew more then Me? So due to their wise counsel I continued my education at Salt Lake Community College after graduating from Hunter High School in 2011. Education is really important to my parents they told me to just keep going to school & not to worry about working for my mission. So of course I was blessed for being obedient to them... I got into the groove of college life & picked up a job on the side to start up on my original plans! I swear my 21st Birthday couldn't have come any sooner & that's just totally fine.. So have you ever felt Heavenly Father's presence so STRONGLY? Well I certainly did during the October 2012 General Conference which was an answer to my prayers...
I remember watching this live with some of my Siblings & just being so overwhelmed! I couldn't help but cry... & it wasn't the "cute kinda cry" it was the kinda cry that just made you look ugly! I could now serve a mission at the age 19 & I was 19! Still to this day.. I can always remember the flood of excitement & emotions that I was experiencing. I knew this was it... Heavenly Father wasn't going to make me wait till I was 21 to serve a full time mission & I'm so thankful for that because patience is a virtue I'm still working on... I'm so grateful that we have a Prophet on the Earth today - President Thomas S. Monson, who leads & guides Christ's Church on the Earth today! I'm grateful for modern day revelation & the opportunity that I've been given to help share the Gospel of Jesus Christ! Of course it was hard to focus on the rest of General Conference after that life changing announcement.. I remember just leaving my Family & going up to my room to get on my knees & express gratitude for this blessing! I then promised myself & my Heavenly Father that I would start working on my mission papers & turn them in within two weeks! I called my Bishop (My Father's Cell phone) & told Him I needed to meet with Him ASAP for an interview! (So what if He was just downstairs... a phone call felt more official!) With the support of my Parents & Family... My Mission papers were submitted the following week & that Sunday I met with my Stake President - President Kinikini to submit my Mission papers! I'm very thankful that my parents had raised me in a way to be ready to accept a Prophet's Call to Serve at any given time.

After about 2 weeks of having my papers submitted to Church Headquarters... That BIG WHITE ENVELOPE finally had arrived! I've been waiting for this all my life.... & it was finally in my hands! The rest of my life was inside that envelope! I never really had a particular place that I would prefer to serve... My thoughts were always just drawn back to the simple quote by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Come What May & Love It!" So where ever the Lord wanted me to serve... That's where I was going to go!
"Dear Sister Falepapalangi, you are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Oregon Eugene Mission..."

...And the crowd goes wild!!!!! Or just Me? When I read my call letter... It just felt RIGHT! This is exactly where the Lord wanted me to go! Never once have I doubted this calling & from day one OREGON has ALWAYS had my Heart! Opened my call on October 31st & I was to report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on January 2nd 2013!
I'm very thankful for this opportunity that I've been given to serve a full-time Mission.. I'm grateful that, "He doesn't call the qualified.. But He qualifies the called!" I'm humbled to know that He trusts ME.. someone so imperfect & full of weaknesses.. To represent His SON who in every way IS PERFECT! In His strength I CAN DO ALL THINGS! Love is the Motive.. & Christ is MY Reason! #BecauseOfHIM <3

2 comments:

  1. you're blog is really cool looking

    Brother Thompson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brother Thompson! You're amazing! (:

      Delete